Friday, March 25, 2011

A Letter of Thanks To You, Dear Friends


I would like to begin this posting with a note of thanks:
Dear Friends,
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayers and best wishes! I came through cardiac surgery with flying colors, and I'm now at home resting. I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of good wishes in your comments on my last posting. Your kindness and caring mean so much to me. Gardeners and garden bloggers are the best!
  Pamela xx                          


When I walked into my kitchen on my return, there were beautiful tulips and daffodils on the island, put there by my husband and his sister. There is nothing more cheery than vases of spring blooms. It was lovely to be home!
 
I was happy to see crocuses blooming in my garden. (I took the crocus pictures shown above and here, before I left.)


Also, before I left, the tiny chipmunk who lives under the back porch made an appearance. I think my grandsons named this one Theodore. I was not sad to see Theodore, as in the past he was more entertaining than destructive. But I don't feel that way about the enormous groundhog that trotted across the yard the same day. I screamed, and he scurried down Bluebell Creek and out of sight, before I could take his picture. Groundhogs are the most destructive creatures in my garden. I just hope this is not going to be a bad year for my vegetables.

The first chipmunk appeared March 12. I saw a groundhog that day, too.
H.H. says he saw rabbit tracks in the snow this morning. Maybe they nibbled the tops off these crocus leaves ...
 Something nibbled the crocus leaves (photo taken 3/14)
Yes, I said rabbit prints IN THE SNOW. Heavy rain made all the snow disappear last week, and we were dealing with mud, but with the hope of some springlike weather. This week it is a very different story ...
What happened to spring?
The patio and fish pond.
Tractor shed, potting shed, and kitchen garden.
The walnut grove where H.H. saw the rabbit tracks.
I guess it's going to be a while before flowers replace snow in the bicycle's baskets!
Temperatures are 20 degrees below normal. Perhaps the snow and severe cold are Nature's way of telling me I can't garden right now, but must rest.

As I rest, I am reading a great book ...


 ... Barbara Kingsolver gives a convincing argument for eating locally-grown produce. This topic may be the focus of my entry for the 2nd Annual Gardeners' Sustainable Living Project, hosted by Jan at Thanks For Today. This fun project runs from March 15 to April 15, 2011. Click on the icon in my sidebar to find out more about this wonderful event in honor of Earth Day. I hope to see your posting there!

Thank you again, dear friends.
Pamela xx




~~ I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited!
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

22 comments:

  1. My goodness, Pam! So glad it went well--praying for you and wishing you a smooth and easy recovery, with lots of beautiful spring thing to view as you rest.

    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful news ... you're well and at home! I hope your recovery continues to go well. Gorgeous tulips and daffodils waiting at home for you ... I hope you're not trying to do too much now that you're at home! Resting and reading sound like great choices.

    Chipmunks, Groundhogs and Rabbits ... your garden is obviously a great spot for a nibble! Hopefully last week's snowfall will be the last for you and you'll get to see springtime very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pam, I'm so glad your surgery is over and you are well. Here's hoping you won't have any more problems! My thoughts & prayers are with you;-) So you ARE going to participate in my project...hurray! You had said since you won the rainbarrel last year you weren't going to. Well, I'm glad you are. There's no reason to feel any less deserving of a prize just because you won last year!! Anyway, your phenology project sounds awesome. I will have to look into it a little more and read about it. That is really cool! Well, take care and rest up. The weather is going to perk up soon (I hope) and you are going to need your energy for all the plans you have for the garden!!
    PS: Those woodchucks can be awful in the garden...so I've heard. I'm beginning to wonder if I have one, or if it's squirrels that are eating my hellebores and narcissus. Never heard of it happening before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great news Pam. I am so glad you are resting and getting well. Theodore is a cutie, but I can not say that for your groundhog. I don't have to see him, I know he is unlikely welcomed. Your snow images are very pretty, but like here, I am sure you are hoping it makes a speedy retreat. Your woodpecker photo is a nice one. You bird project is coming along good I am guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear you are recovering. There will be plenty of time to garden once all that snow melts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam, It's great to hear you are recovering and have thoughtful ones around you. The crocus must be covered by snow now, I guess. Rest well and they will be blooming again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have been checking in on you, so glad to find you home and well. That book is on my list, but I haven't found a copy yet. With that mountain of snow outside, how much kinder for your eyes to rest on vibrant spring flowers. Go well, my friend :~)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog through Sue's A corner Garden. The name of your blog is what drew me here.

    Sorry you've had surgery, but glad to hear you are recuperating at home, and hope your recovery is speedy. Being in your own lovely surroundings is a great healing factor.

    I look forward to visiting here more often.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam,

    Glad to hear your operation went well and I hope you are feeling well.

    Sorry to see all the snow, eeeek! Seems far too late to be getting so much snow, I hope it doesn't stay too long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you're now at home recovering, I have been thinking of you and hoping that everything went according to plan so it's so good to see a new post. I can't believe that you're still getting snow. We've just had a lovely summery week here in Yorkshire, it's a little cooler today but what can we expect in March?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice to have a cheerful bloom bouquet waiting for your return. Glad things went well. I can't believe you have snow again! The weather is strange all over - extremely hot and dry here. Rest, relax, and recuperate. Treat yourself like you are a garden - get plenty of rest (winter), and start slowly (spring). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So good to see a post from you and to hear that you are well and in good spirits! Looking forward to your next post!

    PS: Well done on coming through the surgery so well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Pamela
    I am so glad that you are back home and recovering well. Take it easy and let everyone spoil you whilst you build up your strength.

    SNOW it had to read that bit twice. It's the start of Spring here and it's so wonderful to see all the buds and blossom appear.

    Get better soon
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you've been through hell. I can't imagine how scared you must have been.
    Happy to hear you're home resting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so glad you are recovering and feeling better...can't wait to hear about the book..was looking at adding it to the "to be read" pile and probably will...rest and spring will come in due course when you are ready...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam,
    Is it too late to prune the Willow?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you came through the surgery safely and are now home resting. Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Pam...I'm so glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. Spring just had a hiccup waiting for you to get well.

    *Gentle hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, now I feel bad. I read your last post, but apparently skimmed through the ending where you spoke of having surgery. I'm glad it went well, and you are home recovering. I'm familiar with all this, of course, as my husband had a triple bypass in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, zessests is going to be my word verification. Can you say that fast three times? I hope I get it typed in correctly. LOL

    It sounds like the surgery went well. I recently met another Nebraska blogger who lives an hour from here, and lives in a city. He told me this early spring snow is good for the plants, and provides nitrogen for them. Maybe that will make you feel better until it melts. Our temps are below normal, too, but we're supposed to see the 60s by the weekend.

    Hey, FlowerLady, It's cool you found Pam through my blog. Pam, you'll love FlowerLady's blog, too.

    Oh, dear, I didn't type it right, and now it's "shemb". Well, I should get that one right. ;o) I don't know what the problem is, but, now it's "reflob". I hope it takes this time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Pam, I've been offline for a while and am so glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you're back writing posts with your usual optimism and positive outlook on life. Despite that snow, spring is on its way, and what better treatment and recuperation for a gardener than to be able to enjoy that? I've read a novel by B. Kingsolver, but didn't realize she'd written a book on this topic. Thanks for the tip and all the best. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Pam,
    I love your blog, as I knew that I would after meeting you last night at the Monroe County Beekeepers ASsoc. I really enjoyed your seminar. Im so inspired and thrilled the sun is shining today to garden!
    Thank you again!
    Hope

    ReplyDelete