Monday, December 17, 2012

Longwood Gardens - Then and Now

Christmas display of poinsettias at Longwood Gardens (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
When we visited beautiful Longwood Gardens for the first time in April this year, we vowed to return for the holiday display. We traveled there last weekend and what a wonderful experience it was to see the gardens decked out in half a million Christmas lights, thousands of poinsettias, and some unusual blooms for the time of year.  And how very different from the gardens in April. I took loads of photographs and here are a few to give you a taste of the two very different seasons at Longwood Gardens.

Spring tulips were everywhere in April ...

H.H. and tulips

The trees were bursting with leaves and blossoms ...

Trees (with bluebells) in April
Longwood's trees decked out for Christmas
The trees looked very different this time! We arrived after dark to fully experience the beautiful lights.  Lights were wrapped around or hanging from every trunk and branch. The hanging lights in the top right of the picture above are suspended from an enormous old elm tree.

Longwood Gardens has an enormous conservatory which was not short on lights either.
More decorated trees inside the Conservatory.
Inside and outside there are numerous water features at Longwood. In April I took this picture of the cascade garden inside the Conservatory where you can see plants found in a rain forest.

Cascade Garden

The most dramatic water feature in December is the dancing fountain area outdoors. We watched the fountains 'dance' to the music of The Nutcracker. As the waters rose and fell, the colors changed, and it was quite magical.



On my first visit, I was amazed to see roses in bloom (in the Conservatory of course) so early in the year ...


...  I was even more surprised to see them in December.

Roses of all colors in full bloom. Yellow is my favorite.

The orchids at Longwood Gardens are superb. I don't grow them myself, and I am always impressed with their beauty ...

The Orchid House in April

I was not disappointed with Longwood's December display.

Orchids Cymbidium Mixed cultivars


MORE FAVORITE SPRING BLOOMS:




MORE FLOWERS BLOOMING IN DECEMBER:

Herbs and Hydrangeas

Throughout the winter Conservatory you are aware of the heavy scent of lilies.

Lilies and Poinsettias

Finally, my favorite displays in the Conservatory. First, in April ...

The delphinium border.
... I've shown this picture before. Love those delphiniums!

Then in December, a table set for a wedding. With water on either side it seems to float ...


The wedding table is set with crystal candelabra, white roses, orchids, and twinkling white lights. So.o.o romantic!


A visit to Longwood Gardens is fabulous at any time of the year, but the Christmas display will surely put you in the holiday mood!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Pamela x



~~ I love reading your comments. I hope you leave one so I’ll know you visited!
I look forward to visiting your blog in return.

19 comments:

  1. Well there's certainly something to see there whatever time of year you visit. What a wonderful rose display, yellow ones are my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tour, Pam. I was supposed to visit there in October, but illness kept me from that trip. It really is a gorgeous place to visit. I love the Christmas cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post on Longwood Gardens. As I see there is a lot to be seen all year round. The weddingtable looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful both in the spring and at Christmas, Pam! I love the orchid house. The Christmas lights are glorious...and you've made me "hunger" abit for spring.
    Merry Christmas Pam!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning table! Wonder who the lucky couple is? Longwood is on my list too, I just have no idea when...but December seems like a gorgeous time, although the tulips were fab! Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are planning to visit Longwood this Christmas if we can work it into everyone's schedule. I am doing four posts on Longwood this year so I really hope we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful place, Pam! H.H. looks as he is going to buy all those tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lot to ohh and aah over, especially with the seasonal contrast images. The yellow poinsettias caught my eye (I do like yellow) but the cascade gardens are favourite. All good wishes for Christmas and the New Year, Pam.

    ReplyDelete

  9. what a fun and fabulous place to visit, especially during the winter months when nothing outdoors are in bloom...I really love the water fountains and the lights in the trees. Thanks for sharing and Mary Christmas to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.s.. Pam I just noticed that I spelled Merry Christmas wrong! LOL!
    I guess that is why we have a preview button. I have been trying to catch up on everyone's blogs after work during the night..So I'm not focused very well...
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Pam, your photos keep getting better and better each time I visit.

    Have a Very Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy and blessed New Year

    Love from Maureen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, real magic! What a fun trip. Happy holidays Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun post! I am so glad that you were able to make it to Longwood for Christmas. It is magical! I have heard that the Spring and Christmas shows are the best.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love when gardens have light displays. This looks really impressive. You took some great shots of the fountain 'dancing'. That table setting is nothing short of spectacular. What an event that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - gorgeous any time of year! Love the cascade garden, and I'm amazed at the roses! I bet it was truly a wonderland to see. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam I have always wanted to visit these gardens especially when decorated for the holidays...hopefully once I retire with a bit more time I can finally have my wish...hoping your Christmas was Merry and wishing you a blessed wonderful New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pamela, What a beautiful setting. Makes me wish I could have a conservatory in my house. I'm afraid I'd have to win the lottery first. But it's fun to dream.

    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so fortunate to live close enough to get there at all seasons. I have only been once and it was so hot my wife had to wait in one of the air conditioned buildings. I was not deterred thought. Their Christmas display is legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what an amazing display! I can't believe they have roses flowering all year around! My favourite photo is the delphiniums, they are just so stately and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete